WHAT’S IN A NAME?
Guildford street names give a fascinating insight into the town’s history. Many pioneers and civic leaders of the district are acknowledged by having streets named in their honour. Street names also describe types of activity, or directional orientation – examples are Market Street – Named in 1829 because it led to the public market, Meadow Street – leading to the town meadow, East Street, Station Street, Bridge Street, Hill Street and Bank Street – Where the Bank of New South Wales building stood.
Here are the stories of some street names.
Gazetted in 1890, Allpike Street is named after John Allpike. He was an employee for many years at Padbury, Loton and Company store in Guildford. He started as an assistant, later becoming an accountant, and finally graduated to manager. When Padbury and Loton retired from their Guildford venture, John Allpike acquired the business, trading successfully for many year. Like many busy men, Allpike took an active interest in local government affairs, serving for many years on the town council.
Ellen Street was named after Ellen Stirling, wife of the first Governor of the Swan River Colony, Captain James Stirling. Ellen Street was later renamed Johnson Street.
Named for the river bounding the town.
On 9th February 1894, Mr. Hubert Hooley received a letter from Guildford Council. They suggested Hooley give the deeds over for a new street division on a property recently sold by him. Council argued it was unreasonable for them to take over unmade streets, resulting in extra charges on municipal funds, for the benefit of speculating vendors. Hooley agreed to their proposal, signing over the title deeds on the property. For his generosity, the street was named Hubert Street in his honour.
Following his father’s death in 1879, George William Johnson inherited the family home in Ellen Street (later renamed Johnson Street). George Johnson took an active role in public affairs. He was elected a member of the Municipal Council in 1880, and became chairman in 1881. He served as Mayor of Guildford numerous times, in 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897-1898, and again in 1906-1908. He was a Justice of the Peace, Licensing Magistrate, member of the Swan Roads Board, and President of the Guildford Mechanic’s Institute. To honour his contribution to the town, Ellen Street Guildford was renamed Johnson Street.
MANGLES STREET/JAMES STREET
Mangles Street, the main street in Guildford was named after Captain James Stirling’s brother in law, George Mangles. The street was later renamed James Street in honour of James Stirling.
The Jones family settled in Guildford in 1830. In 1847, Charles Jones received a shipment of 1,500 olive seedlings, imported by Captain Mangles, RN. Charles advertised olive seedlings for sale in Guildford, at prices of six pence for seedlings, and nine pence for a small plant. In 1849 he was granted Lot 47 (Olive Street). Here with wife Frances Barndon, previously of Clayton Farm, the couple raised four children. Charles died at just 28 years old. Were the Olive trees nearby planted in his honour? Unfortunately, the answer to that is lost. Jones family descendants still live in the town.
Piercy Street is located on the north side of the railway line, at the end of Peel Street. The street is named after Mayor Frederick Piercy, Mayor of Guildford in 1903-1906 and again in 1909-1912.
Frederick Piercy, his wife Maria and their seven children left South Australia in 1894 and settled in Guildford. Frederick bought “Argent Cottage” (71 Mangle St now James St). He was a potter, and worked for F. A. Harris, proprietor of the Woodbridge Brick and Pottery Company. In 1904 Frederick formed a partnership with James Turton and purchased the business. At that time the two biggest selling items were ink bottles and ginger beer bottles. The partnership lasted until 1907, when Frederick sold his share to James Turton.
Frederick was devoted to public matters, being a foundation member of the Swan Bowling Club, and the Swan Tennis Club. During his time as Mayor, electricity was installed in Guildford. Social evenings were arranged for rate payers. The Swan Express records. “…The Mayoress (Mrs Emma Piercy) received guests in black silk trimmed with black lace medallions showing white transparencies…” His grand daughter Glenis Piercy says “I am sure Frederick would be proud to know his name lives on”.
Another street named after Captain James Stirling, first governor of the Swan River Colony.
Named for the river bounding the town.
Flanking the terrace above the northern river flats of the town.