Sir Cornthwaite Hector Rason: Eleventh Mayor of Guildford 1896 -1897

Cornthwaite Hector Rason

Cornthwaithe Hector Rason was born in England, the son of a Royal Naval surgeon.  In 1881 he came to Australia to make his fortune, but returned home 18 soon afterwards.  Two years later he married Mary Evelina Terry, and returned to Western Australia.  The Rasons formed the company Rason, Webster and Company, operating shops in Toodyay and Guildford.

On the 6th November 1896 Rason topped the voting poll for Mayor by 23 votes.  Several interesting decisions were made by council during Mayor Rason’s tenure.

In 1897 the council were granted 100 trees by the Forestry Department for planting in commemoration of Her Majesty’s Queen Victoria’s 60th year on the throne, a record reign.  Guildford Council also purchased a tank and hose to water the growing ornamental sugar gum trees, planted along James Street, and in Stirling Square.

Another development was the sinking of an artesian bore to provide water for domestic and stock use.  At first the bore was located in Stirling Square.  The site was inspected by Government officials who recommended the bore be moved to the reserve known as the town well [Spring Reserve].

The first custom built post office in the town was built during Mayor Rason’s time in office.  Located on the corner of Meadow Street, the site had formerly housed the convict depot and infirmary.

Rason became Premier of Western Australia in 1905.  He was also  Treasurer and Minister for Justice.  One year afterwards he resigned to take up the post of Agent General in London.   In England he was Chairman and Director of Bovril Ltd. Australia, a position he held until his death in 1927.